Training to Just Finish - 50k Edition



 I'm competitive and I always want to do my best even if I don't win. This competitive nature seeps its way into all areas of my life - road races, playing a game of HORSE with my husband, staff meetings, card games, etc. Sometimes I'm competitive with other people (mostly when I know I can win) but most often I am competitive with myself. I get enjoyment out of winning and doing my best but I want to work on taking it down a notch.

I ran a marathon earlier this year in April with the goal of running under 3 hours and 20 minutes. Training this winter was brutal with the weather but I got it all in and did well hitting my paces but come race day I didn't prepare myself well enough for the hill climbing. I came through the half in 1 hour 38 minutes which was right on pace but just fell apart in miles 14-17 pulled it together for a little bit and fell apart again around mile 23 (I included the elevation chart below). I ended up running 3 hours and 24 minutes which was a new PR for me in only my 4th marathon and really the second marathon that I had dedicated a full training plan to. Eighteen weeks of marathon training was a lot. I really had to get creative getting my tempos and speed workouts in during the winter months and had to overlap training with the start of track season. Getting up at 4AM for about 3 weeks got old really fast. But I wanted to see what I was fully capable of if I applied myself for the full 18 weeks. I came to the conclusion that I only have the mental capacity to commit to training for a pace for one marathon a year.

Milwaukee Marathon Elevation Chart





I signed up for a 50k in August. I've run one other 50k but it isn't really comparable because it was full of trails and hill climbs. This one is an out and back on an old railroad bed so it will be fairly flat. Here are my goals - negative split, fuel properly and enjoy every minute. I'm working on the negative split concept to address my constant going out too fast problem and I really am trying to work on fueling for longer stuff to figure out what works best for me. Here's what I've been up to in order to prepare to run and "just finish" 30 miles:

Higher Weekly Mileage
I've kept up my weekly miles. My base usually stays at about 30 - 40 miles/week even when I'm not training for anything. I've upped my mileage GRADUALLY from my base by about 10-15 miles. Don't forget to follow the 10% rule.

Long Runs
I'm a fan of back to back long runs. I've mostly been doing back to back 12 and 14 milers but this week I did a 19.5 followed by an 8. I go outside with my hydration bag and snacks and just spend time on my feet. Last weekend I met a run friend out at Devil's Lake State Park and got 3 hours of time on feet which ended up just about 14 miles with all of the climbing. I have not been adding in long run workouts at this point.

Fuel
I'm still in the works of figuring out exactly what I want to use. I've got a large assortment of gels, gummies, stroop waffles, drink mix, you name it. I try to take something in after 45 minutes and then shoot for 250 calories/hour. You can read this article from Runners Connect to get a little more specific to your needs, There is so much stuff out there that you just have to figure out what works best for you.

Strength
Through summer run club we've been working on core and strength 4 times a week. Lunges, single leg squats, pogos (get that soleus!) glute bridges, hip circuits, core circuits and a few other things have really helped me to build durability. I used to feel muscle fibers in my lower back on runs longer than 2.5 hours starting to break down. Strength work has really helped improve my form and worked on building up a balance in my quads and hamstrings as well as build up the small muscle groups such as the gluteus minimus and soleus. I have knee pain that pops up every once in a while from a soccer injury in high school but when I'm diligent with my strength work I find it really helps keep that away.

Not every run has to be competitive. Not every race has to be a PR. I'm working on it and this is a step for me in the right direction.

Need help putting a base training plan together? Are you overloaded with all of the information available online? Let me help you get started!
coach.n.fischer@gmail.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full Review of WhitePaws RunMitts - The Gear You Need to Try!

Science In Sport (SiS) REGO Rapid Recovery Review

"He Who Chases Two Hares Catches None"