It's Not as Simple as Easy Day Versus Hard Day

There's no such thing as an "easy" day or a "hard" day. It's more complicated than that...

                            

The more I learn about training, periodization, plan design and physiological components of the body the more I realize that I have so much to learn. It's not that I am not confident in my current knowledge, it's more along the lines that I realize there is so much information out there and so much research being completed. The running world is constantly being updated and training practices are changing. We are discovering new things about stretching, recovery and nutrition. If you are a coach and you aren't keeping up-to-date on current practices then you're missing out.

It's not that all things in the running world are changing. We still have long runs, pasta parties before meets, dynamic stretching, mile repeats and things like that, but we are learning how to place things together to maximize our training. Marathon plans for the average runner aren't just focused on building up to a 20 mile long run (if your plan currently only changes by adding on miles each week please see below and email me!!) and 5k plans don't just consist of tempos and mile repeats each week (if your 5k plan only has those workouts please see below and email me!!)

Someone has tried to over simplify this complicated process by naming things as "easy days" and "hard days." High school coaches will start off practice, "We had a hard day of hill repeats yesterday so we're going for an easy run today kids!" Some coaches who really haven't kept up-to-date on their education are going wild with this idea and doing athletes an extreme disservice. Let me break it down a little further:

It all starts with how our bodies use fuel as energy. We have two main systems - anaerobic (without oxygen) and aerobic (with oxygen). Within the anaerobic system we have two other systems - alactic (without lactic) and Glycolytic. When we sprint fast for 100 meters our alactic system is primarily working until it runs out 6-8 seconds later. That's when the glycolytic system takes over until that familiar burning sensation in our legs (lactic acid) prevents us from going any faster (~40 seconds). If you slow down to an easier pace the aerobic system is primarily working. This system can actually be broken down more but to keep it simple this system can keep us going for quite a while. As distance runners we primarily train this aerobic system but we don't (and shouldn't) ignore our other systems because all of them trained together make us faster and more efficient runners.



What we have learned is that we can train different parts of each of these systems back-to-back days. If we drain one system then that's okay because we don't need it to work another system! For example, I have my athletes do hill charges and it is perfectly okay to follow that the following day with a tempo run. Even though you might consider those two "hard" days you CAN put them together. Hill charges are primarily strength and working the anaerobic system and tempos are primarily aerobic. Now instead of taking a day in between to "rest" or "take it easy" we know that we can maximize training and rest our anaerobic system while we work out our aerobic system. This can be done all across the spectrum of our systems.

Now, do not think that I am belittling rest. I am a strong believer in rest and recovery (see my streaking blog post) and I tend to lean on the side of caution so that I can help my athletes reach their goals without compromising their health and well being. With that, I like to have success with my goals and I love helping people reach their goals which often requires rigorous and strategic training.

If you're an "easy day" and "hard day" trainer or coach then you must know that there is more out there! If you find yourself at a plateau then you might need a new approach.

Let me help you reach your goals! Let me help you find resources that can maximize training while staying healthy! Email me at coach.n.fischer@gmail.com

www.runwithcoachfischer.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full Review of WhitePaws RunMitts - The Gear You Need to Try!

Science In Sport (SiS) REGO Rapid Recovery Review

"He Who Chases Two Hares Catches None"