The Balancing Act

Now that school is almost back in session it is time for us teachers to get back to our school routine and derail all of the healthy habits we built up over the summer. Busy nights mean quick takeout dinners instead of making something at home or instead of hitting the gym we go home and crash into the couch with a bag of potato chips.



I've been there.

When I started teaching I have no idea how to manage my stress and eating habits. After signing up for a half marathon with a couple of co-workers I painfully got back into running. I went from being able to run a 5:20 mile to dying after running 3 miles at 10 minute pace. It was horrible, humbling and painful but from that point on I was focused on getting better. My first half marathon was 1:59 and in the most recent marathon I ran in April I crossed the half marathon point in 1:39. So now that I have had four years of better habits I thought I might share my insight with you.

Let's start with excuses.

I would but...

My hips hurt when I run.
I am just too tired at the end of the day.
My schedule is way to busy.
I can't handle the heat and humidity.
I have kids.
It's too cold.
I just don't have the energy.
I just don't have time.

Are you guilty of any of these? The truth is that if you are making excuses you are not ready to change your habits. What you are really saying is that you are not willing to give up your current lifestyle in order to change or add something to your life. Change is scary. We like to do what we know, even if it hurts us. There are many places in your day that you can sacrifice a current way of life in order to add running or exercise in general to your day. Do I dare even ask how much time you spent scrolling through Facebook or Instagram today? There's your hour.

You have to plan your exercise regime and set aside that time in your day. Don't schedule anything during that time if possible. You have to change your mindset to "plan your schedule around your exercise time" rather than "fit in exercise around your schedule." Schedule doctor's appointments, meetings and other obligations for outside of those times. I know that some days of the week I have meetings after school that I can't get out of, so I plan those days of the week as my off day so I don't have to try and get a run in after teaching followed by an hour plus meeting.

Don't set yourself up for failure. Know who you are and what you are willing to do. If you like to go out with your coworkers after work then don't plan your exercise during that time. If you won't get up early before work then don't plan your exercise during that time. Now if you like to go out, you won't wake up early and you won't work out at night then you can refer to a couple of paragraphs up; your not ready to change.

Find an accountability buddy. Hire a personal trainer or a coach. I guarantee if you are paying for it you are going to stick with it! Find a coworker who is willing to show up at the same time as you. Heck, go on Instagram and find an exercise community who is cheering you on. You can be held accountable by posting your workouts each time.

Let's talk about kids. I know that kids take up time and energy but there are lots of people with kids who are healthy. You have to take care of yourself in order to take care of your family, do it for them! Putting in an exercise regime sounds energy depleting but it will actually give you more energy to keep up with your family. Get up before them, take them with in the stroller, find a gym with childcare or get some home gym equipment.You don't have to have a 15 mile run in order to get some exercise in, take your kids out for a family walk or get walking when your kids are at soccer practice and you are waiting to pick them up. If you want some inspiration you can read this article on an amazing mother who ran a 3:11 marathon pushing 3 kids in a stroller 😲


Change is scary but you can do it. Yes it is going to hurt. Yes you are going to have to make some sacrifices and yes it's going to require planning ahead. Are you ready?

Need some help getting in a back to school routine? Email coach.n.fischer@gmail.com to get started!

www.runwithcoachfischer.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full Review of WhitePaws RunMitts - The Gear You Need to Try!

Science In Sport (SiS) REGO Rapid Recovery Review

"He Who Chases Two Hares Catches None"