Cold Weather Gear Guide



Here in Wisconsin there are multiple levels of cold starting at "Nice Cold" and extending all the way to "Polar Vortex." The cold might discourage some people from running outside but I actually find it to be quite enjoyable and a good way to experience even 15 minutes of daylight when I find the days start getting really long. I really only turn to the treadmill when there is a risk of injury outside (bad footing/icy/blizzard) or if I am running something where I need to hit a specific pace (tempo, mile repeats, etc) and the conditions just don't set me up for a good workout. I can only handle so much treadmill running. The weight room at school recently moved the treadmills from staring at a cement wall to staring at yourself in a large mirror (awkward)...so I opt to go outside as much as I can to keep my sanity I've put together my interpretations of the cold and my recommendations for dressing to stay comfortable and safe throughout the cold winter months. Oh, and, don't forget the Chapstick before you head out the door!

Nice Cold: 35+ degrees, sunshine and little to no wind

Those winter days where you go, "Wow it's really nice out!" You don't need much - tights, long-sleeve, three-quarter zip and headband.

Tights are Leslie Tights from Oiselle, Headband is Adidas

Cold: 25+ degrees, overcast, little to no wind

Once those temps go below 30 you're looking at thicker tights (not fleece-lined but not paper thin), thermal long-sleeve, three-quarter zip, headband, buff (or bandanna for the neck) and gloves. At this point you probably want to make sure your ankles are covered. If your thighs and butt get cold a pair of compression shorts can really help. *Bonus if it has pockets so you can put your phone in your shorts pocket for an extra layer around it. Phones don't really like the cold either.

Top Layer is Underarmour from TJ Maxx, Bandanna and Headband from Fleet Farm

Cold and Snowing: 25 degrees, light snow

Watch out for slippery sidewalks and ice covered up by the fresh snow. I wouldn't recommend trying to get a tempo run in this weather but a nice recovery run in the fresh snow can be really enjoyable. There's nothing prettier in January than a fresh layer of snow covering any of the gray slush or lining the trees and sidewalks. Throw on some Yak Tracks and your good to go. For dressing, throw on the Cold gear and then add a rain jacket so you can stay warm and dry. Be sure to change out of your clothes right away when you get back home.

Tights are Moto Leslie Tights from Oiselle, 3/4 zip is by Tangerine, headband is Adidas, fleece neck gaiter and off brand "Yaktrax" are from Fleet Farm.

 Colder: 20+ degrees, windy

At these temperatures your legs start getting pretty cold. I start with either layering two layers of thin tights or I get out my fleece lined tights. Up top I start with a heavy thermal long-sleeve, add on a three-quarter zip and make sure to wear either a bandanna or buff to cover my neck. I finish my top layer with a lighter vest to block the wind. Chapstick or Vaseline will also help with chapped lips at these temps.

Vest is a fleece vest from Calvin Klein

Freaking February Cold: Below 15 degrees

Don't be fooled by the sun shining in the day - it's cold AF outside. It also is still safe to run as long as you dress appropriately and the sidewalks/roads aren't pure ice. Double layer those tights or wear your fleece lined tights with compression shorts underneath. Make sure your ankles are covered by long socks and tuck your tights into them. Layer up top with a thermal long-sleeve and buff and forgo the three-quarter zip for something a little heavier like a hoodie or running jacket. If the wind is going and you need a little extra protection then throw on a vest - it goes a long way to help warm your core. I switch my headband out for a hat and either double layer on the cheap gloves or wear my thicker pair of gloves. Chapstick or Vaseline protect your lips and sunglasses can help if it's windy.


Buffs (head and neck) are from SA Company, Running jacket is from Target

Polar Vortex: Sub 0

I usually call it quits around negative 15 degrees. If the roads are in good shape and there isn't a huge wind then I am willing to head out the door. Everyone has their limits and it depends on the goal of your workout and how much your lungs can take. If you are going for certain pace in a tempo workout, have a really long run or working on speed then the treadmill is your better option once it gets below 15 degrees. Now if you decide to head out the door then layer up. I start with wool socks with a base layer of tights tucked in followed by a second layer of fleece lined tights. I then tuck in a tank top to my pants followed by a base layer thermal long-sleeve, thermal hoodie or jacket, and thermal vest. I make sure to tuck in a buff followed by a fleece gaiter on top of it (the moisture from your breath will freeze your buff so you want to layer up on that too). I finish with a pair of sunglasses, hat, pull my hood up and a double layer of gloves.

Hat is from Oiselle, Neck Gaiter/hood is from Fleet Farm and Vest is a thermal vest from the Columbia Outlet

Fleece tights are FILA from Kohl's, Vest is from Columbia Outlet, Baselayer is from Asics

Where do I find cold weather gear?

Many of these items don't have to be expensive. In fact, the colder it gets the more I resort to my "inexpensive" running items. I pull out thick hoodies and fleece neck gaiters in the frigid cold temps because thin buffs and light windbreaker jackets don't quite cut it. Don't forget to check out stores like Fleet Farm for things like bandannas, wool socks and fleece gaiters for a reasonable price before hitting up Columbia and Patagonia. I always sift through TJ Maxx and my local Goodwill stores for things like thick base layers before buying the expensive stuff. Another tip is to shop in the off-season. Want a good deal on a winter coat? Buy it in the dog days of summer. I scored a cold weather running jacket with a hood from the Eddie Bauer Outlet for a STEAL this July. Only downside is I have to wait about 5 months to wear it! I don't think cheaper is better but I do like a good bargain. Things that you should invest in - get a good pair of tights. Fork over the $80+ and get a good pair of tights that are thick enough so they don't fade and can hold up in the cold. 

That's it, my guide to keeping you warm and dry.



www.runwithcoachfischer.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full Review of WhitePaws RunMitts - The Gear You Need to Try!

Science In Sport (SiS) REGO Rapid Recovery Review

"He Who Chases Two Hares Catches None"