What Do I Do With My Hands? A 2022 DC™ Super Hero Run Race Review

Disclaimer: I received an entry to DC™ Super Hero Run to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro ambassador, and check out BibRave.com to review, find, and write race reviews!  

Whenever I find myself in a situation I'm not overly familiar with or am feeling awkward I think
about this scene from the movie Talladega Nights...


For a little context, I usually do not find myself in novelty races with costume contests, themes and tutus. I'm not a serious 5k racer and I can't remember the last time I specifically was training to run a 5k PR (college, maybe?) but throughout the years I've maintained an ability to stay competitive in local races hovering around the 20 minute range but within the past year or two I think I've lost my drive to have any sort of structured running plan. I still run six days a week but I don't prioritize workouts or mileage (this was a crazy year professionally) and have started to prioritizing lifting and other active activities. My speed has dwindled and while my aerobic engine is pretty strong I just don't like dipping into the sub 7 minute per mile paces. When the opportunity for a novelty 5k DC™ Super Hero themed race came up I thought, "What the heck" and signed up. 




The race has multiple locations throughout the country at various Six Flags locations. I did the one in Gurnee Mills, IL at Six Flags Great America. When I was in my teens I bought a season pass for the summer. We lived about a half hour away and my friends and I were too young to have jobs but old enough to get dropped off for the day at the park. Coming back to the location was quite nostalgic and to be honest not too much has changed besides the iconic big blue Shockwave roller coaster not being the first thing you see out of the parking lot. 

Race-day packet pick-up was available so I arrived about an hour early to make sure I had time to park, get my bib together and warm-up a little prior to the event. Racers had the option to choose a Wonder Woman™, Batman™ or Superman™ race packet upon registration. Each swag kit contained a dry-fit tech t-shirt and themed wrist sweatbands and medals were handed out at the finish. Most racers were wearing their race shirts and many were dressed up in their own DC™ themed costumes complete with tutus, capes and eye masks. I don't really dress up for races, maybe an ugly sweater 5k here or there but I stay pretty traditional in my race gear so this is where I started to feel out of place. I thought I might see a few people dressed up here or there but seriously everyone around me was dressed up from head to toe. 





I headed to the start corral where I tucked into the group of people. A costume contest was going on even though the race was supposed to be starting. The people in front of me said they were always late getting the race going which I wasn't too surprised because most people seemed really laid back and were just there to have a good time. They had some fun music at the start, a countdown and we were off into the park. The course started out in the parking lot, went around the back of the coasters for a while and then wound through the main path of the park. I went under the American Eagle ride, ran past the funnel cake shop, had flashbacks of my first upside-down roller coaster ride as I ran past the Demon and then made my way past some rides that I didn't recognize or had been renamed. As stated above, not too much had changed. 





The last mile finished out in a big loop around the parking lot and at that point I realized I could count the people in front of me but didn't think much of it as I was running more of a workout 5k rather than going all out. It was hot and I didn't really have a game plan other than just go out easy and pick it up the second half. As I came to the finish line I realized there was a finish banner that I ran through as the first oberall female. I have won some local race 5k or 10k races but have never "broken the tape" which was another moment of "what do I do with my hands?" So that was fun. I high-fived the woman who came in behind me, got some race photos, and called it a day at the park.

Altogether I would label this a fun, novelty race for Super Hero fans and those looking for a family-friendly event. I was out of my comfort zone but appreciated the way the race really got into the theme of the event. Anyone looking for a serious race with lots of competition and without small children running around might want to reconsider a different option. 



The DC™ Super Hero Run has multiple locations coming up: 7/17 Washington DC, 8/7 New England, 8/28 San Francisco, 10/2 Arlington, 10/16 Atlanta and 11/6 San Antonio. Or a virtual option for any time and any location is also available! Racers can register at dcsuperherorun.com and use code: BRPDCSUPERHERO for a free water bottle with registration.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full Review of WhitePaws RunMitts - The Gear You Need to Try!

Science In Sport (SiS) REGO Rapid Recovery Review

"He Who Chases Two Hares Catches None"