I've Been GHOSTED...

Disclaimer: I received a pair of Brooks Ghost 14's to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro ambassador, and check out BibRave.com to review, find, and write race reviews! 

I've been Ghosted by Brooks Ghost 14's!  I am so excited to share with you my full review of the FULLY carbon neutral Brooks Ghost 14 model I received. I have never been a Brooks gal before and now I am adding this model into my rotation of running footwear. Let me tell you more...



The shoe comes in at 9 oz with a midsole drop of 12mm. The footbed is a neutral support with a mid level of cushion to deliver a smooth ride intended for everyday road running. A 12mm drop is slightly higher than what I normally run in but I found the transition to be seamless with no calf soreness. I tend to lean towards a neutral footbed in a shoe which has always drawn me to this model of shoe but in the past when I have tried it on in stores it always had a strange feeling as though I had something along the bottom of the footbed. I had that same initial feeling when first trying on the shoe so before running in them (I'm guilty of always just taking shoes out of the box and straight for a run) I took the time to break them in and wear them while teaching summer school. After a day of walking in them, the footbed seemed to form directly around my foot and felt great with no discomfort and no feeling of something lingering in the bottom of the shoe. So if you are like me and have hesitated to buy Brooks because of this, you just need to break them in!



Versatility

I now have about 70 miles on them which accounts for about half of my runs this month. You can really tell I've taken to them due to how dirty they have gotten. The shoe is extremely versatile. The light-weight feel and smooth ride allow for a shoe that will respond to a speed session on the track as well as an easy-paced long run. They have been my shoe of choice to wear during summer school sessions where I do plenty of walking and moving. Normally I designate my shoes as either just work or just running shoes but these were so comfortable I used them for both. I took the Ghost 14's out for a spin on the track for some 200's, lots of 5 mile runs and up to a 9 mile long run. Even though it isn't advertised as a speed shoe, everything from the 200 meters to nine miles fit the capability of the shoe. 




Support and Structure

The shoe comes in as the mid level grade of cushion, a neutral support and an adaptive upper. I love neutral support shoes as they don't guide your foot specifically - I think this is what contributes to the versatility of the shoe for me. The cushion isn't heavy or squishy and although it doesn't have a specific responsiveness, it doesn't squish in the ground losing energy. The level of cushion allows for a comfortable long run experience. The adaptive upper is a 3D print technology that allows flexibility in the upper to form to your foot while maintaining structure in the shoe. I did find that using the runner's loop and lacing through the loop of the second eye hole was the best lacing strategy for keeping my foot in place for this model. 





Visual

The Ghost 14 comes in a wide variety of colors and patterns - 31 different options to choose from! You could find a shade or pattern for ANY outfit choice. The model I have is in the Fuschia/Yucca/Navy colors which went perfectly as my "pop of color" with my mostly black outfit choices - the color is vibrant without being loud. The shoe is sleek and stylish for those who are concerned about that and worked with my choice of shorts, leggings or joggers quite well. 




Carbon Neutral

The uniqueness of this model is the company's dedication to the environment and is their first fully carbon neutral model. By using 30% recycled materials for the upper and reducing manufacturing waste, the net output emissions add up to zero for this model and lead the way for the company to reach a net zero emission goal by 2040.  

Overall I was extremely satisfied with the testing of the Brooks Ghost 14 model. I am so excited to add this in my rotation - the color options are endless and I love having a couple of different models to get the most mileage out of my shoes. The combination of color, cushion, structure and footbed is the perfect model to designate as your "daily workhorse." Top that off with a carbon neutral footprint and a standard running shoe price point of $140 and you can't go wrong.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Science In Sport (SiS) REGO Rapid Recovery Review

Full Review of WhitePaws RunMitts - The Gear You Need to Try!

"He Who Chases Two Hares Catches None"